Monday, October 19, 2009

I wish I'd taken a picture...

It's a shame I didn't get a photo of the Mexican grey squash that came in this week's Bountiful Basket. I'd never had them before and they're quite lovely. Striped in shades of grey-green, shaped like a short,stocky zucchini. I looked for a recipe on the internet; but didn't find anything that really caught my eye. Last night on the phone with my sister, Annie; (who, by the way, is a fabulous cook,) I mentioned the squash. She suggested an old zucchini and crookneck squash recipe from my mom. So that's how I cooked them, (with my own slight adaptations of course.) They were amazing.


Baked Mexican Grey Squash

Prehead oven to 500'. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" metal baking pan. (500' is too hot for glass)
Wash and cut the stems off 4 or 5 Mexican squash and cut into roughly 1" cubes. (no need to peel them and no particular points for neatness)
Microwave the squash in a covered microwave safe bowl with 1 cup of water and a little salt for 12-14 minutes until tender. Drain.
Break the squash pieces into smaller pieces with a fork or spatula.
While the squash is cooking, crush 36-40 Ritz-type buttery crackers. I stick them in an unsealed ziplock bag and scrunch them with a rolling pin, but you can use whatever stress relief method you wish.) Set about a third of the crumbs aside for topping.

Stir in 6 T. butter
          4 t. sugar
          1/4 c grated cheddar cheese
          1/4 c sliced almonds
          crushed Ritz-type buttery crackers (don't forget to reserve 1/3 of these for topping)
           2 eggs, beaten
          salt and pepper to taste  

Turn into baking pan, top with crackers crumbs set aside earlier, and bake at 500' for 10 minutes. It comes out of the oven a light golden brown.

Soooooo yummy!   
From my kitchen to yours.  Linda    

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home