Monday, November 02, 2009

Guava Love It

So as promised in my previous post, here is how I used the NOT-quinces; but actually GUAVAS. After spending a lot of time on the Internet and getting entangled in endless links, I finally ran across an obscure reference to a sauce recipe to be served over grilled chicken breasts. Since I didn't want to make breads or desserts with my guavas, this seemed like a reasonable alternative. Note: I would like to give credit where due:  http://whatscooking.us/2008/12/18/pork-chops-with-spicy-guava-sauce/.  It took an incredible effort on my part to reconstruct the twisted path back to the link where I originally found the recipe but I finally succeeded. (Note to self: bookmark this stuff the first time around, it will save hours of frustration.)
 The recipe originally called for pears over chicken breasts and was adapted for use with guavas over pork chops. I used guavas over chicken breasts. The results were delicious and unusual; like nothing my husband and I had ever tried before. (and that's usually a good thing.)


Here is the recipe:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled or baked
6 guavas, seeded and diced; (or 3 pears, cored, peeled and diced)
1/2 cup sour cream
approximately 1/2 can fire-roasted jalapenos (the author used 1-2 chipotle adobado peppers)
1/2 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


To make the sauce:

  1. Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the guavas and jalapenos and stir constantly. Use a potato masher to reduce mixture to a course puree.
  3. Add the sour cream, stir, lower heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  5. Cover grilled chicken breasts with sauce and serve.
Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home